How to Sponsor your Partner for Canadian Immigration?

How to Sponsor your Partner for Canadian Immigration?

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you can sponsor your spouse, common-law, or conjugal partner to obtain Canadian permanent resident. It takes 12 months for Canadian government to take decisions on Canadian spousal sponsorship visa.

What is Spousal Sponsorship?  

A spousal sponsorship Canada falls under the family sponsorship class. The Canadian spousal sponsorship helps the Canadian citizen or permanent resident to sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, or dependent children to stay with them in Canada.

How much does spousal sponsorship cost?

FeesIn Canadian dollars
Sponsorship Fee$ 75
Principal applicant processing fee$ 475
Right of Permanent Residence Fee$ 500
Biometrics (fingerprints and photo)$ 85
Total$ 1,135

How does COVID-19 impact spousal sponsorship?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) continues to accept and process spousal sponsorship applications throughout the coronavirus pandemic. If you wish to sponsor your wife, husband, or partner, you can.

IRCC is stating that processing spousal sponsorship applications remains a priority and it is aiming to expedite spousal processing during the pandemic.

What are the requirements to sponsor in Canada?

As a sponsor, you are required to provide for the basic needs to the sponsored person.

These basic needs include:

  • Housing, including utility bills;
  • Food and personal hygiene products;
  • Clothing and other items necessary for daily living;
  • Medical expenses not covered by public health insurance, such as dental and eye care.

 The length of the undertaking is 3 years from the day your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner becomes a permanent resident. once the sponsorship application has been approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).  You cannot cancel or withdraw an undertaking, even if your personal or financial situation changes.

How much income do you need to sponsor your spouse or partner?

There is no specific income requirement to be able to sponsor your spouse or partner to Canada.

  • You must show that you have sufficient income or assets to support the spouse or partner once he or she arrives in Canada;
  • You must not be receiving income support benefits from any province or be in bankruptcy proceedings.

Whom I can Sponsor?

To receive a visa under this immigration program, you and your foreign spouse or partner will have to prove that you are in an authentic relationship that qualifies under one of the three categories:

  1. Spouse: you are legally married;
  2. Common-law partner: you live or have lived with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months in a marriage-like relationship;
  3. Conjugal partner: you must have been in a continuous and committed relationship for a period of at least 12 months but have had significant obstacles that prevent you from residing with one another (such as cultural, religious or immigration barriers).

The person you are sponsoring must:

  • Be at least 18 years old;
  • Pass all background, security and medical checks.

Can I sponsor my same-sex spouse or partner?

Canada recognizes same-sex marriages and relationships, and your spouse or partner may be eligible to apply in one of the three categories above, provided both parties meet all the eligibility criteria. If you are married and the event took place outside of Canada, it must be legally recognized in the country where it took place.

How can I prove that my common-law relationship is genuine?

To prove the duration and nature of your relationship, you will need to submit documents such as:

  1. Birth certificates, marriage certificates or adoption records of any children you and your common-law partner have together
  2. Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation Questionnaire
  3. Photos of you and your common-law partner that show your relationship
  4. Documents proving that you are recognized as common-law partners of each other, such as employment or insurance benefits
  5. Proof of shared expenses between you and your partner
  6. Proof of your relationship (letters, emails, social media).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *