How to sponsor your family to immigrate to Canada

Family class immigration is the second largest category of newcomers under Canada’s Immigration Level Plan.

In 2022, Canada aims to welcome 105,000 new people under the family category: 25,000 parents and grandparents programs (PGPs) and 80,000 spouses, partners and children.

Can I be a sponsor?

To sponsor a family member, you must show Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that you:

Who can I sponsor?

  • Spouse, common-law partner and conjugal partner
  • children
  • Parents
  • grandparents

Canadians can sponsor relatives such as brothers, sisters, aunts or uncles only under special circumstances.

How do I sponsor my spouse or partner?

You and your spouse can apply as either an inland applicant or an outbound applicant. Domestic applicants go through the sponsorship process in Canada, while external applicants live outside the country. Only Canadian citizens may live outside of Canada with their foreign spouse during the sponsorship process. Permanent residents taking the outland option must live in Canada and their spouse must live outside Canada while the application is being processed.

You will need to submit the following for the application process two applications at the same time:

  • your application to sponsor your spouse or partner
  • Your Spouse’s or Partner’s Permanent Residency Application

If you are applying as an inland applicant, you may also submit an Application for a Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP) with your application.

How do I sponsor my child to immigrate to Canada?

To sponsor your child, you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident age 18 or older, and prove that you can financially provide for your child’s basic needs as well as your own. .

Your child may be eligible for sponsorship if he or she is your legal or biological child, is not married, and is under the age of 22. Children age 22 and older may qualify as dependents if they have a physical or mental condition that prevents them from being able to. support themselves and they are dependent on their parents for financial support before the age of 22.

How do I sponsor my parents or grandparents?

Parents and grandparents can be sponsored through PGP.

To be eligible as a sponsor, you must be 18 years of age or older and living in Canada as a citizen or permanent resident during the sponsorship process. You cannot sponsor your parents or grandparents to immigrate through the PGP if you are a temporary resident or if you have an application for permanent residence in process.

You must also show proof of income that shows you have the required minimum essential income (MNI).

The application process changes regularly, including the MNI required for sponsoring parents and grandparents. Application instructions come from IRCC on an annual basis.

Grandparents and parents who want to stay in Canada as visitors may be eligible for a Super Visa, which allows them to stay for up to five years without having to renew their status.

© CIC Updates All Rights Reserved. Visit to find your Canadian immigration options.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *